Eshkandaming is the word for watermelon in Anishinaabemowin.
Want to learn more about eshkandamingin (watermelons)?
- Watermelons are considered one of the world's healthiest foods, and not just by the site, The World's Healthiest Foods! They're full of Vitamins C and A, hydrating, and low in calories.
- The National Watermelon Association is the official professional organization of watermelon growers.
- The National Watermelon Promotion Board showcases some fun trivia and interesting facts about watermelon, recipes, and more.
- AllRecipes showcases a huge collection of recipes featuring watermelon as an ingredient.
- While delicious and nutritious, watermelons are also beautiful and can be used as the basis for intricate and gorgeous artistic carvings. Check out some of the work of Japanese watermelon sculptor Takashi Itoh.
Flowers carved onto a watermelon by Takashi Itoh (Photograph published on the artist's website)
So, noongom, celebrate and enjoy a slice or two or a whole great big eshkandaming!