As of July, Leech Lake Tribal College has begun holding La Leche League meetings on campus to share information about and to support mothers breastfeeding their children. The meetings are held on the last Friday of each month, from 3-4 p.m., in the student lounge of Giizhiikaandag Wigamig (Cedar Hall) and are led by LLTC distance education coordinator Melanie Wilson. The next meeting is scheduled for Friday, August 31, at 3:00 p.m. in Giizhiikaandag Wigamig's student lounge. For more information, please call Melanie at 218-335-4280 or Wellness Center director Dawn Plumer at 218-335-4254.
Miigwech to our Community Education and Wellness Center for their support of this health and wellness initiative for our students, our employees, our community, and, most importantly, our children.
For more information about World Breastfeeding Week and for information resources on breastfeeding, please check out the following links:
- "Breastfeed Your Baby" (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services) http://www.healthfinder.gov/prevention/ViewTopic.aspx?topicId=50
- "Breastfeeding" (U.S. HHS - Indian Health Service - Maternal Child Health) http://www.ihs.gov/medicalprograms/mch/m/bf.cfm
- "Breastfeeding Promotion and Support: IHS Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative" (U.S. HHS - IHS) http://www.ihs.gov/babyfriendly/
- "Breastfeeding Support" (U.S. Department of the Interior - Let's Move) http://www.doi.gov/letsmove/indiancountry/startright/breastfeeding-support.cfm
- Native Breastfeeding Council - http://www.nativebreastfeeding.org
- World Breastfeeding Week - http://worldbreastfeedingweek.org