- Faculty orientation is happening all day in Mooz Room 100.
- Registration for fall semester classes is open until Monday, August 13. Contact LLTC Student Services to get started on your future by dropping by their office, located in Giizhiikaandag Wigamig (Cedar Hall) here on the LLTC campus, calling 218-335-4220, or visiting www.lltc.edu and clicking on "Prospective Students."
More on the flood relief proposals for northeastern Minnesota communities, including Fond du Lac, hit hard by summer flooding: http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/article/id/239581/
Former area baseball star pitcher Earl Sargent, Jr. (Red Lake) is remembered in this Bemidji Pioneer sports feature: http://www.bemidjipioneer.com/event/article/id/100042730/
Award-winning writer Louise Erdrich (Turtle Mountain) will deliver the 2012 Barbara Ballinger Lecture on October 23 at Unity Temple in Oak Park, Illinois: http://riverforest.suntimes.com/news/community/14188795-418/louise-erdrich-to-appearin-oak-park-this-fall.html
The University of Nebraska Press is republishing the book The Island of the Anishnaabeg: Thunderers and Water Monsters in the Traditional Ojibwa Life-World by Theresa S. Smith: http://www.nebraskapress.unl.edu/product/Island-of-the-Anishnaabeg,675009.aspx
Xcel Energy subsidiary NSP-Wisconsin has agreed to pay $40 million to clean a Superfund site in the Bad River region:
- "NSP-Wis. to Clean up Polluted Ashland On-Land Site" (North Jersey Record) http://www.northjersey.com/news/national/165518746_NSP-Wis__to_clean_up_polluted_Ashland_on-land_site.html
- "NSP-Wis. to Clean up Polluted Ashland Site" (Eau Claire Leader-Telegram) http://www.leadertelegram.com/news/daily_updates/article_c66df474-e21f-11e1-9e3f-0019bb2963f4.html
- "Utility, EPA Reach Agreement on $40 Million Superfund Cleanup in Ashland" (Milwaukee Journal Sentinel) http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/business/165507206.html#!page=1&pageSize=10&sort=newestfirst
Northern Ontario First Nations prepare to send 30-day eviction notices to mining companies in the Ring of Fire: http://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorialopinion/article/1239169--why-not-extend-aboriginal-rights-to-aboriginal-peoples
Blogger Lynn Gehl (Algonquin Anishinaabe) talks about the Anishinabek Nation's new constitution and about citizenship in her latest entry: http://www.lynngehl.com/2/post/2012/08/anishinabek-citizenship-denial-law-excludes-those-who-belong.html
Tonight, St. Paul's United Church in Thunder Bay hosts Ojibwe Landscapes, a cultural heritage celebration of Anishnawbeg: http://hopeforthefuture.ca/2012/arts-culture/ojibwe-landscapes-august-9/
Scotiabank Studio Theatre in Toronto, Ontario, hosts Medicine Boy, a play by Waawaate Fobister (Grassy Narrows Anishinaabe) and about the legacy of residential schools: http://www.nowtoronto.com/guides/summerworks/2012/story.cfm?content=188068