- Noongom (today), all LLTC students and employees are warmly invited to Monday Drum and Potluck happening at 12 noon in Giizhiikaandag Wigamig (Cedar Hall), in the Benny Tonce Memorial Drum Room 204.
- The Parents' Study Support Group meets Tuesday and Thursday from 4-6 p.m. in Giizhiikaandag Wigamig's Benny Tonce Memorial Drum Room 204.
- Everyone is welcome to the free and fun Zumba sessions led by our very own Community Education coordinator Amy Erickson on Tuesday and Thursday, from 4:15-5:15 p.m., at the Cass Lake-Bena Elementary School gymnasium.
- Student Senate meets Aabitoose (Wednesday) at 12 noon in Giizhiikaandag Wigamig's Benny Tonce Memorial Drum Room 204.
- STEM Club meets Thursday at 12 noon in Mitigominzh Wigamig's Migizi Room 110.
- LLTC's La Leche League chapter meets Friday at 3 p.m. in Giizhiikaandag Wigamig's Student Lounge 201. All families and mothers looking for breastfeeding information and support are encouraged to attend.
- Come on out to LLTC's Family Fun Night on Friday happening from 5:30-7:30 p.m. in Giizhiikaandag Wigamig with lots of activities and fun for all ages; come in your Halloween costume and celebrate with us. We will also have a scary haunted trail for ages 10 and up (unless accompanied by guardian), complete with zombies and gory challenges; admission to the trail is $3 per person or $2 per person with donation of a nonperishable food item. If you want to participate in the haunted trail challenges, be prepared to get dirty!
- LLTC Community Education's beginner quilting class begins Saturday in Giizhiikaandag Wigamig's Mazinibii'igewin Art Room 215. The class fee is $25, and registration is required. For more information, please contact Amy at 218-335-4244.
Mille Lacs celebrates the grand opening of its Wewinabi Early Education Center: http://www.messagemedia.co/aitkin/community/education/article_4218e974-17c9-11e2-9a8c-0019bb30f31a.html
Red Lake Nation expects to break ground for its new Seven Clans Casino in Warroad in March: http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2012/10/19/construction-to-begin-on-new-seven-clans-casino-in-march-2013-140410
Spirit Lake Nation Chief Judge Shirley M. Cain (Red Lake) presided over the swearing-in ceremony of Associate Judge Trish McKay (Spirit Lake): http://www.devilslakejournal.com/article/20121019/NEWS/121018561
More on The Round House by Louise Erdrich (Turtle Mountain): http://www.pbs.org/newshour/art/blog/2012/10/conversation-louise-erdrich-on-her-new-novel-the-round-house.html
One of the leaders of the American Indian Movement, Russell C. Means (Oglala Lakota), has died after a battle with cancer and is remembered:
- "Breaking News: Russell Means Walks On" (Indian Country Today) http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2012/10/22/breaking-news-russell-means-walks-on-141281
- "Native American Activist Russell Means Dies" (CNN) http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2012/10/22/native-american-activist-russell-means-dies/
- "Russell Means, Indian Activist, Actor, Dies at 72" (San Jose Mercury) http://www.mercurynews.com/columns/ci_21827502/russell-means-indian-activist-actor-dies-at-72
- "Russell Means, Who Revived Warrior Image of American Indian, Dies at 72" (New York Times) http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/23/us/russell-means-american-indian-activist-dies-at-72.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
- "Tribal Spokeswoman Says Former American Indian Movement Activist Russell Means Has Died" (Washington Post) http://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/tribal-spokeswoman-says-former-american-indian-movement-activist-russell-means-has-died/2012/10/22/dc1269d2-1c4d-11e2-8817-41b9a7aaabc7_story.html
Ontario's new Talk 4 Healing service aims to connect First Nations women with culturally-responsive resources: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunder-bay/story/2012/10/19/tby-talk-4-help-launch.html
The Roman Catholic Church has canonized Saint Kateri Tekakwitha (Mohawk), making her the first Indigenous saint of Turtle Island:
- "Canadians See St. Kateri's Canonization as Help for Reconciliation" (Catholic News Service) http://www.catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/1204448.htm
- "Church Celebrates Namesake" (Winnipeg Free Press) http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/church-celebrates-namesake-175193281.html
- "For Church, St. Kateri Canonization Is Recognition of Long-Troubled Relationship with Native Peoples" (Kansas City Star) http://www.kansascity.com/2012/10/19/3875453/for-church-st-kateri-canonization.html
- "For Church, St. Kateri Is Recognition of Troubled Relationship" (Anchorage Daily News) http://www.adn.com/2012/10/19/2665817/for-church-st-kateri-canonization.html
- "In an Act of Atonement, Vatican Makes Kateri Tekakwitha the First Native Canadian Saint" (Globe and Mail) http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/in-an-act-of-atonement-vatican-makes-kateri-tekakwitha-the-first-native-canadian-saint/article4626652/
- "Indians Say Sainthood for Mohawk Women Long Overdue" (AFP) http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5h7dzL7DEGPp-z7oWaLIVcSGlwqUA?docId=CNG.7303e5d5faff765b37520304bdebea1a.1f1
- "Pope Benedict XVI to Canonize First Indigenous North American Person" (Soo Today) http://www.sootoday.com/content/news/details.asp?c=48731
- "Pope Names 7 New Saints, Including 2 from Upstate New York" (CBS) http://www.cbs12.com/template/inews_wire/wires.international/2a4b952f-www.cbs12.com.shtml