Noongom @ LLTC:
- Native American Heritage Month open mic afternoon begins at 12 noon in Giizhiikaandag Wigamig (Cedar Hall), in the Benny Tonce Memorial Drum Room 204. Come and share some poetry, music, stories, or just enjoy those from others.
- The American Indian Business Leaders [AIBL] chapter meets at 12:30 p.m. in Mitigominzh Wigamig (Oak Hall), in Ogaa Room 109.
- The Parents' Study Support Group meets 4-6 p.m. in Giizhiikaandag Wigamig's Benny Tonce Memorial Drum Room 204.
The National Congress of American Indians pushes for tribal nations to get out the vote: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20121101/us-native-vote/
50 year-old Francis "Frank" Allen Lutgen / Keewaydin Makwa (Red Lake) is remembered in this Bemidji Pioneer obituary: http://www.bemidjipioneer.com/content/francis-lutgen and this Cease Family Funeral Home obituary: http://www.ceasefuneralhome.com/fh/obituaries/obituary.cfm?o_id=1764961&fh_id=11968
White Earth Nation hosts a Get Out the Vote event this Saturday, November 3, beginning at 5:30 p.m. at the Shooting Star Casino and Event Center: http://www.dl-online.com/event/article/id/70899/
Environmental advocate Winona LaDuke (White Earth) shares information about climate change and her endorsement of President Barack Obama: http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/ict_sbc/pro-life-and-not-a-planet-baker-why-i%E2%80%99m-voting-for-barack-obama
More on the ban on hunting and trapping ma'iinganag (wolves) on Minnesota tribal lands:
- "Ojibwe Bands Ban Wolf Hunting, But Only on Indian-Controlled Lands" (Bemidji Pioneer) http://www.bemidjipioneer.com/content/ojibwe-bands-ban-wolf-hunting-only-indian-controlled-lands
- "Ojibwe Bands Ban Wolf Hunting - But Only on Indian-Controlled Lands" (Minnesota Public Radio) http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2012/10/31/environment/ojibwe-ban-wolf-hunting/
- "White Earth Acts to Ban Wolf Hunting" (Detroit Lakes Tribune) http://www.dl-online.com/event/article/id/70921/
Butte, Montana, high school art teacher John Bercier (Turtle Mountain) is the Montana Art Education Association's teacher of the year: http://mtstandard.com/news/local/butte-high-art-teacher-receives-statewide-award/article_7c90f420-23db-11e2-a3ac-001a4bcf887a.html
Construction is starting on the new Spirit Sands Casino in Carberry, Manitoba: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/story/2012/11/01/mb-casino-first-nations-carberry-manitoba.html
Grand Council Treaty #3 and Ontario's Ministry of Aboriginal Affairs reaffirmed agreements to focus on Indigneous education, children and youth issues, health, and economic stability: http://fftimes.com/node/255570
The new book, Anishinaabeg Stories: Featuring Petroglyphs, Petrographs, and Wampum Belts, by Lynn Gehl (Algonquin Anishinaabe) is now available: http://ipsmo.wordpress.com/2012/11/01/anishinaabeg-stories-featuring-petroglyphs-petrographs-and-wampum-belts-by-lynn-gehl/