- Great River Pizzeria sells hot, delicious pizza-by-the-slice at 12 p.m. in Mitigominzh Wigamig (Oak Hall).
- The Run/Walk Club meets at 4:15 p.m. at the entrance to Giizhiikaandag Wigamig (Cedar Hall).
- First responders' training happens at 4:30 p.m. in Giizhiikaandag Wigamig's Mazinibii'igewin Art Room 215.
The Northwoods Coalition for Family Safety, which serves many Anishinaabe and non-Anishinaabe families alike, has its renovated shelter reopening in November: http://www.bemidjipioneer.com/content/northwoods-coalitions-shelter-building-and-programs-improved
"Laura Straw, chair of the Northwoods Coalition for Family Safety board, and Andrea Yardley Kingbird, interim director of the coalition’s shelter, hang new curtains in an upstairs bedroom of the refurbished building in Bemidji." (Photograph by Monte Draper for the Bemidji Pioneer, published 24 October 2013)Northern Michigan University, home of the Decolonizing Diet Project, helps to connect Anishinaabeg with the traditional foods of Turtle Island: http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2013/10/24/eating-indigenouslychangesdietsandlivesofnativeamericans.html
Two women in their thirties -- Laura Spence and Nicole Whiteduck -- are missing from Kitigan Zibi First Nation, the same reserve from which young women Shannon Alexander and Maisy Odjick went missing in September 2008:
- "Aboriginal Mothers Still Missing, Search for Nicole Hannah Whiteduck and Laura Spence Intensifies" (Huffington Post) http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/10/24/aboriginal-mothers-missing_n_4156019.html
- "Community Search Begins for Two Women Missing from Reserve near Maniwaki" (Ottawa Citizen) http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Community+search+begins+women+missing+from+reserve+near+Maniwaki/9077141/story.html
- "Missing: Have You Seen Laura Spence or Nicole Whiteduck" (Digital Journal) http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/1542855
- "Missing: Have You Seen Laura Spence or Nicole Whiteduck" (MarketWired) http://www.marketwired.com/press-release/missing-have-you-seen-laura-spence-or-nicole-whiteduck-1844299.htm
- "Police Searching for Two Missing Aboriginal Maniwaki Mothers" (MetroNews) http://metronews.ca/news/ottawa/832852/police-searching-for-two-missing-aboriginal-maniwaki-mothers/
- "Search for 2 Missing Aboriginal Mothers Intensifies" (CBC News) http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/search-for-2-missing-aboriginal-mothers-intensifies-1.2223575
- "Two Aboriginal Mothers Missing from Kitigan Zibi Reserve" (CBC News) http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/two-aboriginal-mothers-missing-from-kitigan-zibi-reserve-1.2186488
- "Two Aboriginal Women Vanish After Going out for the Evening" (Canada.com) http://o.canada.com/news/national/two-aboriginal-women-vanish-after-going-out-for-the-evening/
- "Two Women Missing from Reserve near Maniwaki" (Ottawa Citizen) http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/women+missing+from+reserve+near+Maniwaki/9071306/story.html
More praise for writer Joseph Boyden (Metis) and his new book, The Orenda: http://www.nowtoronto.com/books/story.cfm?content=194936